Monday, June 30, 2008

Entering the Land of Missionaries

Missionaries are an interesting and unique breed of people. I have very much enjoyed spending time with the missionaries I have met during my meals at BMS. Margarete is one who brings with her the imagination of the missionaries of 100 years ago (but with a theology of contemporary pluralism). Perhaps it is simply because she speaks with her lovely British accent and knows India so well, but nevertheless I feel like I'm entering a lost world of missionary grandeur when we eat together in the evenings. I think about my mother as a woman roughly my age becoming a member of the Congolese Christian community, an identity that has never left her heart in these thirty years since her time there, and I think I have a new understanding of what that time meant in her life. Missionaries have a faithfulness about them, like that which I have only ever seen in the Rev. Mother in "The Sound of Music" or the Jesuit priests in "The Mission". This is not a film, however, these are real people who have given up a comfortable Western life to be God's instruments of love and hope in the places that imperialism and, now, capitalism have left behind and forgotten. I feel very blessed to know the missionaries I have met. There are none other on earth the same as they.

1 comment:

Rick Lowery said...

Nice reflection! My travels with your mom the last couple of years have left me truly amazed at and inspired by our missionaries. What brave, compassionate people. It makes me so proud to be part of a church that has had such an important impact on the world.
Love!!! Dad