Saturday, June 28, 2008

Monsoon Days

It rains here, sporadically throughout the day. It's monsoon season. Everything is damp and sticky, which makes me want to sleep often and all day long! My time adjustment is still struggling to normalize, and I wonder if I will ever again sleep past 5 am. It is difficult, though since I am retired to my sleeping quarters by 9 am each night as I (keeping my mother in mind) try not to be out much after dark. I am asleep by 10 pm, simply because there is nothing left for me to do except read, and I'm working my way quickly through everything I've brought with me. The mosquitoes keep me company at night, unwelcomed companions that they are... I can barely tell the odor of insect repellent anymore, since it has become my obligatory perfume of choice. I was informed today by Margarete -- the British Baptist missionary with whom I dine in the evenings -- that UK physicians do not prescribe my kind of malaria medication for Asia (only Africa), since the strand is slightly different here. Perfect. Not only am accosted by mosquitoes and am running low on my meds (thank you Walgreens for not filling the entire prescription), what I do have may prove unsuccessful in warding off malaria. I am tired, cannot stop yawning. Perhaps I'll take a nap soon... the monsoon invites such a lazy day...

1 comment:

A-6 said...

Hang in there!!! I personally find bug repellant to be a very attractive smell...clearly I am not a bug!

Love,
Elizabeth