Monday, June 30, 2008

Boo Solo Travel!

My travel plans keep being destroyed. Darjeeling is in the midst of political unrest. They are protesting to have an independent state, because they feel neglected by the West Bengal government. There are common strikes and riots, and transportation in and out of the Darjeeling region is regularly barred. Independence has never come easy, and violence often accompanies the struggles. Even if I should make it to Darjeeling, there is little guarantee that I could get out in time to make it home! I was also told at breakfast by two nuns who are from Darjeeling, that there have recently been two rapes and murders of women in Goa (one British and one Indian). Goa is the beautiful southern state to which tourists flock from all over the world when they visit India. The beaches are magnificent (so I'm told). I had planned to spend Independence Day there, but I am not interested in traveling there alone right now. I am very sad about that, because I was going to see the place of St. Francis Xavier is buried. Now I must decide where else to travel in India, since my itinerary is being disassembled due to bad travel advisories. At times like these, I am particularly annoyed that I am a lone young female traveling ALL BY MYSELF!!!! Anyone feel like flying to India and being my travel companion for the month of August? My grant pays for my hotel accommodations...

1 comment:

A-6 said...

Well...you know me...the perpetual homebody...but I would definetely consider if I didn't have to go back to school on Aug. 18...India would be much more interesting than 7 days of inservice!
Hang in there...something is bound to work out!
Love,
E