Thursday, July 3, 2008

Lots of Random, but good, Stuff

Well, today was an interesting day. I woke up at 7:15 am (yay!) and rushed to get to breakfast at BMS. They say that it takes 2 weeks to adjust to the jet lag, and its two weeks exactly! I then went to Bishop's College and didn't really get any work done... but I did have some good conversations about CNI and its structure with several of the theological students over chai tea. I really do think that I will be okay once I move into the college guest house. Right now, it is hard to be alone every night. The culture shock has manifested itself in loneliness. It is hard to not have anyone to talk to at the end of the day, so I usually just read or go to bed by 9 pm.

At 4 pm, I went to St. James Church (formerly Anglican, now CNI) for a book release ceremony. Three volumes of the new Dalit Bible Commentary were released in West Bengal. I am such a nerd, I got super-excited because I thought a man whose book on ecumenism I'm currently reading was there, but I had simply misheard the name (I'm still adjusting to Indian English). Anyway, it was a big deal, because this is (if I understood correctly) the first Bible commentary written for the Dalit perspective (Dalits are the 'untouchables' in the caste system). Of the 250-million Dalit in India, approximately 20-million are Christian (this is a HUGE difference in percentage within a single community than the roughly 1% of Indians, overall, who are Christians). The publication of this commentary series is not only a move forward in Indian religious scholarship and academia, it is incredibly important to the Dalit community in general. Time and time again, speakers acknowledged the liberating message of the Gospel for the Dalit... ours certainly is a religion for the oppressed peoples of the world, and I was present at a really ground-breaking moment in the history of the Gospel at work.

After dinner, Cecile and I went to Park Street to meet a few of her friends (2 French women and a Moroccan man). Youssef looks frighteningly like my cousin Spencer, so that kept throwing me off, but I had a lot of fun with them. They spoke a lot of French (that I could roughly follow some of the time), but they all speak English well too... there was a lot of translating for me (I know, after 7 years of French, it is absolutely pathetic that I was so rotten at understanding basic chatter... ah well, that's why I'm taking French again next year). We went to the Park Hotel (think the W or Hard Rock Hotels in the States) to listen to a cover band (they were singing "Black Velvet" when we walked in... I ABSOLUTELY LOVE American music cover bands in foreign countries!). Cecile and I both thought that the lead singer was cute, but then I've always secretly wanted to be a rock band's groupie (I guess it's not so secret anymore). Youssef asked if I like Metalica and I said 'they're okay.' He then tried to tell me that I was not a real American because Metalica 'represents America'. I informed him that Lynard Skynard represents America, and I loved THEM. He was not convinced, and I reminded him that the American (i.e. ME) would know better than the Moroccan (i.e. him) what constitutes 'America'. That's right cultural snobbery! I later met a British Indian who is in Kolkata to visit his Indian relatives for a month. He name is Ronnie and he asked me if I would 'fancy some tea sometime'. I told him to ring me, so we'll see if tea ever happens. He's not exactly a 'Barrister-type' like I predicted, but I totally told Vince that were I to get engaged in India, it would be to a Brit who was here visiting his Indian relatives! I'm soooo good at calling this stuff! Anywho... he's got a great accent, and it's a hilarious story to tell!

Lastly, they moved me to a new room at SCEPTRE today (my temp housing until the guest house clears out at Bishop's College). This one is much smaller, but I got a sheet to cover myself with at nite!!!! So, I'm moving up in the world! Of course, the mattress in this room still has a plastic cover, so I feel like I'm sleeping in a 1960s 'nuclear' home each time I move! I'm not sure which is worse: no blanket, or plastic mattress wrap? I think that no blanket is much more pathetic, but the plastic mattress is down right annoying! Alas, such is my life in India!

1 comment:

Kris Angarola Davidson said...

And, I'm so angry at myself for not answering the 20 digit phone number that lit up my phone last week. I thought it was a telemarketer. I cannot wait to hear this story. Email me on Facebook or Myspace, would ya!?

I just spent most of my afternoon catching up on your blog, and was thoroughly enthralled.

Love,
K