Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Safe

First, let me reassure everyone who may have heard the news of terrorists threats aimed at Kolkata. I am 100% safe at this moment in time. I was just paying the taxi who had brought Cecile, Carole and me to Jadavpur (the Kolkata suburb where Youssef has an apartment) when my phone began to ring. Dr. Caleb was calling to ask me to come back to Bishop's College immediately, as there had been a series of emails sent indicating that a terrorist organization would be targeting popular Kolkata locations in a series of bomb attacks. Unfortunately by the time he had explained the situation, our cab had left and there was not another taxi to be found. He said that it would be okay for me to stay at Jadavpur for the night as long as we avoided public places. To be honest, I felt more comfortable sequestered away in their suburban flat than in a taxi that would necessarily be crossing major overpasses on the return trip to the city proper. I explained the situation to my four French friends (plus the Moroccan Youssef), and I was a little shocked that they were not particularly concerned. Sunil was certain that these threats were to be taken seriously, but no one in the apartment, besides Youssef and myself, seemed at the least bit worried. Then I realized these friends are residents of the country that openly objected to the American 'War on Terror'. They have not had an open attack on their national soil; it was not the Eiffel Tour seen crumbling to the ground on September 11th. I do not say this as a critique, but rather as an observation. It makes sense that the American would be freaked out, while the French in the flat would be discussing whether to use butter or oil to fry the chicken samosas.

Cecile noticed that I was uneasy, and I explained that Americans are particularly jumpy these days when the word 'terrorism' comes up. I also told them about being in elementary school when my home state was attacked by one of our own (the 1995 Murrah Building bombing in Oklahoma City). This stuff encourages particular paranoia as far as my own memories are involved, so I was going to be a bit edgy for the evening.

By 11:30 pm, all was still well in Kolkata, so we decided to head back to the city. I arrived at Bishop's College safe and sound (the police force was increased in number and in firearms, so the city is clearly on alert), and I will stay in less public locations until we know that the risks have passed. Just to give you a sense of the time difference, India is 9.5 hours ahead of EST in the US. So, when the time punch at the bottom of my post says 4:30 am, it is actually 2 pm in Kolkata. I am safe, so no need to worry about me. Do keep the city of Kolkata, the state of India, and all who reside here (both those targeted by terrorists and those who feel that terrorism is appropriate) in your thoughts and prayers. 

No comments: