Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Monsoon Storming

Last night there was a huge thunderstorm. It was the monsoon season in full glory. At several points, the lightening struck and thunder sounded simultaneously, right outside of my window. The electricity was out for the entire morning all over campus, and from the sounds of the honking outside the College's walls, I would guess that the traffic lights were also out.

By no means did I sleep through the pyrotechnics of last night, but I did find the sounds of rain pounding against my windows and thunder crashing across the sky comforting. It reminded me of home -- Oklahoma home -- during tornado season (my favorite time of the year). Once I had gone to college in Massachusetts, I began missing the more spectacular weeks in tornado alley due to pesky spring semester exams; and while Chicago and Indianapolis boast their fair share of storms, they hardly compare to the magnificence of Oklahoma's tornado season. Last night, however, was totally terrifying and thoroughly thrilling, just as a storm should be.

A night that would usually force small children into the comforting warmth of their parents' bed was one of the most relaxing of my nights here. The sounds were familiar, the power-outage expected. A monsoon storm is something about India that I am fully capable of dealing with!

No comments: