Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Going Home with Maggie

Yesterday I was feeling very ill. I am yet to have a stomach issue here, but I think I have come down with bronchitis or something of the like in my lungs. Its difficult, the weather is always shifting between hot and rainy/damp. For those not used to such back-and-forth, the results are colds. This cough, however, sits in the lungs, so I can't help but wonder if it is more than a mere cold (stupid weak immune-system!). Right, so, I skipped church in order to sleep and hopefully overcome this attack on my poor body. But Maggie had invited me to her home for her father's birthday party, so I really couldn't bail on that.

It was lovely! Her father is the pastor of a large CNI congregation in Kolkata and was on a hospital call when we arrived at their house. As soon as he came home, we cut the cake and he started telling us stories of when he was a student at Bishop's College before the union of CNI ("It was a very strict Anglican seminary, and my friends and I used to sneak out at night to go to the cinema. In those days, not even female family members were allowed on campus!") I wanted to ask him how he felt about Maggie being a ministry student at Bishop's College now, but just as an opportunity came, Maggie's aunt arrived.

Maggie's aunt is basically the definition of fabulous! She is a teacher at a Christian school in Kolkata, was educated abroad, and knows more about the Bible than most minsters that I have known. She is witty and intelligent and utterly charming. We talked theories about how the John's account of the Gospel and the Epistle attributed to John could be penned by the same author (or not, as the scholars currently claim): "If I were writing the Gospel of the Lord, I would make sure that my Greek was fantastic! If I were merely writing a letter to myself, I would not care about the quality of my Greek prose..." We laughed a lot. I really enjoyed the conversation with Maggie's aunt. She is a hilarious and incredibly sincere woman. It is always lovely to spend some time with women who are the type of woman that I hope to be someday.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I hope that you get to feeling better very soon!

~Jennifer H.