Thursday, July 10, 2008

Finally! Lodging!

Well, I have moved onto the Bishop's College campus -- finally! It is really lovely having a more permanent place (I will be living here until mid-August, when I will return to the Delhi area for my last 10 days). My bed is beautifully comfortable, by comparison, because I have stacked two mattresses onto the wooden frame (I don't wake up desperately sore anymore!). It is one large room with a small dining table and four chairs, two big comfy chairs, a coffee table, a bureau, and a beautifully old standing mirror. The floor is bright red, the walks sky blue, the shudders crayola-crayon green, and the ceiling is white with yellow accents. The ceiling is incredibly high, and the floor space large, giving the room a feeling of airiness and space. The kitchen is small, but I have a gas stove (the kind where the two burners sit on a table and are linked by a hose to a tank of the floor... I'm seriously 'roughing' it here, folks!). This all means that I can now boil my own water for brushing my teeth! My favorite part of the room, however, is my bright pink floral mosquito net! I finally have the princess canape bed that I always wanted as a little girl!

Nothing about the guest house is shiny and new, but it is my exotic home for the next five weeks. I even washed three loads of laundry in a bucket in the bathroom yesterday and have utilized my mosquito-net line as my clothes dryer during the day. I still find the shower situation odd, but I simply appreciate my day dreams about showering at the Hilton near the airport on my final night in India all the more (only 7 more weeks until I get hot water!)...

Honestly, sometimes I wish I were sitting in my parents' air-conditioned living room drinking a cold Diet Dr. Pepper (with ICE!!!!!) and watching 'So You Think You Can Dance' on Fox, but then I smell the intoxicating aroma of curries drifting form the Mess Hall and wander outside to watch the seminary men play cricket. I remember that I am in Kolkata, India, and am so utterly blessed to be having this experience... I wouldn't trade it for a lifetime supply of Diet Dr. Pepper and lovely, lovely air-conditioning!

1 comment:

Kyle said...

Bethany, I'm terribly disappointed in the quality of your fantasies. Diet Dr Pepper? That's a bit like dreaming about a silver medal or being vice-president, which are fine things in real life, but not in dreams! :-)

That said, I'm very glad you're having an experience you wouldn't trade for air conditioning. Oh, and my new place only has an electric stove, so you're doing better than me!